[Python-Dev] Mercurial migration readiness (was: Taking over the Mercurial Migration)

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Jul 2 01:05:13 CEST 2010

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 15:26:12 -0700
Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

> As I said, quick-and-dirty. It will take discussion to decide what we
> want to ask non-committers to do,

I don't think we have to ask them to do anything special, as long as
they can submit their contributions under the form of a patch.
Whether they use named branches, separate clones, mercurial queues, the
pbranch extension, or even the basic hg-as-an-svn-synonym workflow you
suggested should be none of our business, IMO.

A DVCS allows non-committers to manage (augment, fix, synchronize) their
patches more easily until they get committed. I don't think it will
change the committers' work a lot, though. I don't know how Mercurial
could make the task of committing an outsider's patch significantly
simpler.

Regards

Antoine.