[Python-Dev] Are you ready for Mercurial migration?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Jul 2 20:37:54 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 08:49, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:
> Antoine, I value you contribution to `hgsvn` project, and this thread
> is not a personal accusation of anybody in making proper transition -
> please understand that I would like to see the opinion of people who
> preferred not to be involved in lengthy discussions.

People who choose not to be involved in a lengthy discussion on a
topic and thus most likely be ill-informed should not participate and
expect to be taken seriously. Making statements without having some
decent amount of knowledge on the subject just leads to bad decisions.
In other words, I don't care about the opinion of uninformed
individuals (and I doubt anyone else does either) so you trying to
bring them into this is not helping matters.

This transition has been in the works since roughly December 2008 when
I started evaluating whether moving to a DVCS was beneficial. That has
been in the open either through PEPs or this mailing list, even a
lightning talk at PyCon 2009. When Dirkjan took on the task (all by
himself) to handle the transition that discussion has stayed public,
mostly through emails on python-dev. This has been vetted as publicly
as possible.

So people who wanted to participate when decisions were being made
could have. But having you come in here and say that this needs to be
discussed again is at least unproductive, if not insulting.

This transition will happen once a proper conversion is up and has
been pounded on, as Martin has suggested. And the proper documentation
will be in place before we hit the switch and turn off svn. Yes, it
has been slow, but considering a single individual has been handling
all technical aspects it is to be expected. And in case I have not
said it publicly, I thank Dirkjan for sticking with this after all
this time.

> For personal
> pretensions against me - please start a new thread and no hijack.

Yes hijack. In case you have not noticed practically every reply on
this email thread has said "stop stirring up trouble and try to help."
All you are doing is muckraking at this point. If you want to help, be
constructive instead of trying to drag this transition out and throw
up barriers. We are beyond the point of bringing up alternatives to
how to handle this. Now we just need manpower to fix the final details
so we can get this finished. Letting this thread just go on is not
helping anyone, so we are all trying to kill it before any more people
waste their time with that wave of yours.

> I am trying to solve the same problem as you are - make the Mercurial
> migration, but make it as painless as possible.

Then help! Fix the hgsubversion bug that is blocking the transition.
Port the dev FAQ over to Mercurial if you don't want to code. Do
something constructive! But trying to cause us to change plans that
have been moving forward on the scale of years suddenly is not helping
make the transition any less painless. All you are doing is pissing
people off and causing us to have to waste our time telling you to
stop doing what you are doing.

To be totally frank, Anatoly, you need to contribute in a positive way
and without sounding demanding. Maybe you don't mean to sound
demanding, but your emails sometimes come off like you think we should
listen to all of your ideas with no backing of experience here or
enough evidence to support your ideas. And then rehashing old
decisions like this transition, arguing for svn bridges and the like,
isn't helping improve people's perception of you. It's gotten to the
point where I don't want to read your emails. If you keep up with the
way you are interacting with people on this list I for one will add
you to my python-dev blacklist filter (which currently consists of a
single person, so it is not easy to get put on that list) so that I
don't feel angry or frustrated every time I see an email from you.

-Brett