[Python-Dev] More detailed build instructions for Windows

Reid Kleckner reid.kleckner at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 07:26:38 CEST 2010

Hey folks,

I'm trying to test out a patch to add a timeout in subprocess.py on
Windows, so I need to build Python with Visual Studio.  The docs say
the files in PCBuild/ work with VC 9 and newer.  I downloaded Visual
C++ 2010 Express, and it needs to convert the .vcproj files into
.vcxproj files, but it fails.

I can't figure out where to get VC 9, all I see is 2008 and 2010.  Can
someone with experience share the best practices for building Python
on Windows?  In particular, what is the most recent compiler known to
work and where can I download it?

Thanks,
Reid