[Python-Dev] Mercurial migration readiness

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Sun Jul 4 14:40:14 CEST 2010

Am 04.07.2010 13:37, schrieb Martin Geisler:
> "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:
>
>>> My question is basically the same as Terry Reedy's, but I'm going to
>>> phrase it a bit differently:
>>>
>>> This is perhaps a naive question, but why do you create a second local
>>> clone instead of just creating a branch?
>>
>> IIUC, if you create a named branch, the branch will become globally
>> visible when you push your changes back. I assume people will consider
>> that clutter - it would be sufficient to just push the changes on the
>> branch, along with commit messages, but not the branch itself (which
>> would be only temporary, anyway).
>>
>> I'm not even sure how you pull changes from one branch into another:
>> can somebody kindly explain the commands that would be required?
>
> You don't -- it is tempting to think of a "named branch" as a kind of
> container for changesets, but that metaphor makes people think that you
> can put changesets "into" a named branch and takes them "out" again.

I'm not sure if I misunderstand Martin's intent, but in principle, if you
want to merge one changes (not changesets!) branch into another, all you
need to do would be "hg merge <otherbranch>".   Subsequently committing
the merge (after fixing conflicts) creates a new changeset "on" the current
branch.

Georg