[Python-Dev] Licensing

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 14:48:50 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 11:27 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> For example, if you look at some of the code that even Guido has
>> submitted (e.g. pgen2), that's actually come in under Google's
>> contributor agreement, rather than Guido's personal one. Presumably
>> that was work he did on company time, so the copyright actually rests
>> with Google rather than Guido.
>
> I hope you are misremembering some details. I did that work while at
> Elemental Security (i.e. before I joined Google). It should have
> Elemental Security's contributor agreement. I developed that code
> initially for inclusion in Elemental's product line (as part of a
> parser for a domain-specific language named "Fuel" which did not get
> open-sourced -- probably for the better.

Whoops, I got my timeline wrong (it did seem a little off when I wrote
it - I think part of my brain was trying to tell me the dates didn't
match up). I must have been thinking of something else I was working
on recently that had Google's name in the header, most likely the abc
module.

So apologies for the confusion - just s/pgen2/abc/ in my example to
make it line up with my intent :)

Cheers,
Nick.