[Python-Dev] query: docstring formatting in python distutils code

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Jul 7 18:09:40 CEST 2010

On 07/07/2010 17:06, Shashwat Anand wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 9:24 PM, C. Titus Brown <ctb at msu.edu
> <mailto:ctb at msu.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     over on the fellowship o' the packaging mailing list, one of our
>     GSoC students
>     (merwok) asked about how much formatting info should go into
>     Python stdlib
>     docstrings.  Right now the stdlib docstrings are primarily text,
>     AFAIK; but
>     with the switch to Sphinx for the official Python docs, should we
>     permit
>     ReST-general and/or Sphinx-specific markup in docstrings?
>
>     Hmm, I don't actually see that the stdlib docstrings are imported
>     into the
>     Python documentation anywhere, so maybe the use of Sphinx isn't that
>     relevant.  But how about ReST in general?
>

> So will we be able to use .__docs__ within python interpretor, which
> is quite handy feature.
> getcwd() -> path
>
> Return a string representing the current working directory.
> Also some python interpretors like bpython uses it ; a snapshot here -
>  http://cl.ly/c5bb3be4a01d9d44732f
> So will it be ok to break them ?

Using ReST won't *break* these tools, but may make the output less
readable.

I would say that the major use of docstrings is for interactive help -
so interactive readability should be *the most important* (but perhaps
not only) factor when considering how to format standard library docstrings.

Michael

>     See
>
>     http://sphinx.pocoo.org/markup/index.html
>
>     for sphinx-specific markup constructs.
>
>     thanks,
>     --titus
>     --
>     C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu <mailto:ctb at msu.edu>

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree, on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I have entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to release me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.