[Python-Dev] versioned .so files for Python 3.2

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Jul 7 20:40:59 CEST 2010

On Jul 01, 2010, at 07:02 AM, Scott Dial wrote:

>I decided to prove to myself that it was not a significant issue to
>have parallel directory structures in a .tar.bz2, and I was surprised
>to find it much worse at that then I had imagined. For example,
>
># cd /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages
># tar --exclude="*.pyc" --exclude="*.pyo" \
>      -cjf mercurial.tar.bz2 mercurial
># du -h mercurial.tar.bz2
>640K    mercurial.tar.bz2
>
># cp -a mercurial mercurial2
># tar --exclude="*.pyc" --exclude="*.pyo" \
>      -cjf mercurial2.tar.bz2 mercurial mercurial2
># du -h mercurial.tar.bz2
>1.3M    mercurial2.tar.bz2
>
>So, I was definitely wrong in saying that you do better than doubling.
[...]
>I appreciate all your replies. I am not sure a PEP is really needed
>here, but to having had all of this discussed and explained on the
>mailing list is certainly useful. I trust that yourself and the debuntu
>python group will end up chasing down and taking care of any quirks
>that this change might cause, so I am not worried about it. :D

Getting back to this after the US holiday.  Thanks for running these numbers
Scott.  I've opened a bug in the Python tracker and attached my latest patch:

http://bugs.python.org/issue9193

The one difference from previous versions of the patch is that the .so tag is
now settable via "./configure --with-so-abi-tag=foo".  This would generate
shared libs like _multiprocessing.foo.so.

I'd like to get consensus as to whether folks feel that a PEP is needed.  My
own thought is that I'd rather not do a PEP specific to this change, but I
would update PEP 384 with the implications on .so versioning.  Please also
feel free to review the patch in that issue.

Thanks,
-Barry