[Python-Dev] Python equivalents in stdlib Was: Include datetime.py in stdlib or not?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Jul 8 00:37:04 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 15:31, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 7:56 AM, Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
>> Using a class decorator to duplicate each _test_ into two test_* methods
>> sounds  like a good approach.
>
> Note that parameterised methods have a similar problem to
> parameterised modules - unittest results are reported in terms of
> "testmodule.testclass.testfunction", so proper attribution of results
> in the test output will require additional work. The separate
> subclasses approach doesn't share this issue, since it changes the
> value of the second item in accordance with the module under test.

This is why a new method would need to be created with a special
suffix to delineate what module the test was called with. So instead
of testclass specifying what module was used, it would be
testfunction.

I guess it becomes a question of what boilerplate you prefer. One nice
benefit of the class decorator that I can think of is it could handle
the import trickery for you so you wouldn't even need to worry about
that issue. This could also allow the decorator to not bother running
the tests twice if the extension helper was not available.

-Brett