[Python-Dev] versioned .so files for Python 3.2

Matthias Klose doko at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 8 01:47:12 CEST 2010

On 07.07.2010 20:40, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> Getting back to this after the US holiday.  Thanks for running these numbers
> Scott.  I've opened a bug in the Python tracker and attached my latest patch:
>
> http://bugs.python.org/issue9193
>
> The one difference from previous versions of the patch is that the .so tag is
> now settable via "./configure --with-so-abi-tag=foo".  This would generate
> shared libs like _multiprocessing.foo.so.

  - imo, it's wrong to lookup _multiprocessing.so first, before looking
    up _multiprocessing.foo.so (at least for the use case to put the
    extensions for multiple python versions into one directory).

  - why is the flexibility of specifying the "foo" needed?  The
    naming for the __pycache__ files is fixed, why have it configurable
    for extensions?

Matthias