[Python-Dev] query: docstring formatting in python distutils code

Martin Geisler mg at aragost.com
Thu Jul 8 09:32:34 CEST 2010

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> writes:

> Benjamin Peterson writes:
>  > 2010/7/7 Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org>:
>  > > Antoine Pitrou writes:
>  > >
>  > >  > >   http://selenic.com/hg/file/tip/mercurial/minirst.py
>  > >  >
>  > >  > Given that Mercurial is GPL, this is probably of no use to us,
>  > >  > unfortunately.

I must admit that reading this felt strange somehow... that a piece of
open source code should be useless. But I understand what you mean :)

>  > > Given that Martin apparently is the only or main author, I don't
>  > > see a problem as long as he's willing.
>  >
>  > And he hasn't assigned the copyright away.
>
> (Or that the assignment has an automatic author-use-ok clause like the
> standard FSF assignment does, etc.)

We don't assign copyright in Mercurial, so this should be no problem.
This also meant that we had to contact about 300 guys when changing from
GPLv2 to GPLv2+.

> Just ask Martin, there are too many possibilities here to worry about.
> If maybe we want it, and he is willing to contribute the parts he
> wrote to Python under Python's license, then we can worry about
> whether we really want it and about how much any required hoop-jumping
> will cost.

I would be happy to relicense it under the Python license.

--
Martin Geisler

aragost Trifork: Professional Mercurial support
http://aragost.com/mercurial/