[Python-Dev] Full unicode support for the import machinery

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 15:01:56 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Victor Stinner
<victor.stinner at haypocalc.com> wrote:
> I created an svn branch because I think that it's easier to review short
> commits than one unique huge patch. The branch also helps me to share the
> branch between different computers, and allow other people to review the
> commits (and/or contribute!).

Thanks for doing that, it does indeed make it much easier to follow
your train of thought.

The overall approach looks sane, and while I haven't done a
line-by-line review of every patch on the branch, the ones I did
examine in detail all looked correct. I'll try to keep up as you make
more changes.

You're a brave soul, venturing into that
there-is-no-Unicode-there-is-only-ASCII maze, but you've already made
substantial improvements. The addition of new more Unicode friendly C
APIs for errors and warnings should be of general use outside this
work as well (but given where you're up to, I don't advocate trying to
cherry pick them off the branch).

Cheers,
Nick.