[Python-Dev] Removing IDLE from the standard library

Guilherme Polo ggpolo at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 06:23:38 CEST 2010

2010/7/10 Miki Tebeka <miki.tebeka at gmail.com>:
> Hello Tal,
>
>> I would like to propose removing IDLE from the standard library.
> -1.
> One of the biggest "selling points" for me when switching to python was the
> "out of the box" working IDE with REPL, syntax highliting and a debugger.
> The only other candidate I think of to replace IDLE might be IPython. However
> for novice users who are not used to command line it might be too intimidating.
>
> There are my others IDEs out there, some better some worse. However IMO
> to have one bundled with Python is highly important.
>
>> Cross-platform support has degraded with the increasing popularity of OSX and 64-bit
>> platforms.
> I use IDLE on Ubuntu 64bit and before that on OS X 64 bit, never had a
> problem. Can you give
> some examples on what do you mean by "cross-platform support"?

By "never had a problem" do you mean using some of the latest versions
? Here, running "idle" from a mac terminal and trying to type: print
"hi" crashes when entering the quotation mark. I'm mostly sure this
has been fixed on versions newer than 2.6.1 (but I hope you agree with
me that shouldn't happen with a version distributed on macosx), so my
another example is in the form of a question: how functional is the
current IDLE debugger when running on a Mac ?

--
-- Guilherme H. Polo Goncalves