[Python-Dev] Removing IDLE from the standard library

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jul 11 21:19:20 CEST 2010

> (This seems to me like an area where a judicious application of PSF
> funds might help; if every single bug were actively triaged and
> responded to, even if it weren't reviewed, and patch contributors were
> directed to take specific steps to elicit a response or a review, the
> fact that patch reviews take a while might not be so bad.)

I'm skeptical. The current triage process often results in assigning
bugs to somebody, with the entirely unfounded expectation that somebody
then will act on it - unfortunately, both the submitter and the triager
seem to have that expectation.

Unfortunately, it's often not clear what the submitter wants: does she
want to help, or want to get help? For a bug report, I often post a
message "can you provide a patch?", but sometimes, it isn't that clear.

>> At the moment, I'm personally able to perhaps review one issue per week
>> (sometimes less); at this rate, it'll take several years until I get
>> to everything.
>
> I guess it depends what you mean by "everything", but given that the
> open bug count is actually /increasing/ at a significant rate, I would
> say that you can never possibly get to "everything".

Right, I was trying to put things positively :-)

Regards,
Martin