[Python-Dev] Removing IDLE from the standard library

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sun Jul 11 23:16:43 CEST 2010

On 11/07/2010 20:47, A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 05:22:28PM +0300, Tal Einat wrote:
>
>> Initially (five years ago!) I tried to overcome these issues by
>> improving IDLE, solving problems and adding a few key features.
>> Without going into details, suffice to say that IDLE hasn't improved
>> much since 2005 despite my efforts. For example, see
>>
> Is it maybe time for another idle-fork project to develop IDLE outside
> the stdlib for a while, and then the forked version could be swallowed
> wholesale by the Python 3.2 release?

Whilst I would *really* like to see bugfixes and minor improvements in
functionality incorporated back into IDLE (who wouldn't?) I think it is
important that IDLE remains focused on its nice of being a "simple" or
"beginners" IDE, without trying to become a full blown IDE that is even
harder for us to maintain.

Speaking of which, the IDLE.app that comes with Python 2.7 for Mac OS X
isn't working for me. Anyone else seeing that?

All the best,

Michael Foord