[Python-Dev] [Idle-dev] Removing IDLE from the standard library

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Jul 12 00:44:14 CEST 2010

> FWIW this is why I started IDLE-Spoon (well, continued Noam Raphael's
> project of the same name, in a sense). The idea was to have a fork of
> IDLE with new features which need to be tried out by "beta testers" to
> iron out all of the glitches before making it into the main version,
> like IDLE-fork back in the beginning of the decade. However I have
> utterly failed in promoting this project and getting "beta testers" on
> board, at least partially due to the lack of interest from the
> community (and admittedly my lack of PR skills).

I think such a thing must inherently fail - precisely for these reasons.

It's much better to release proposed new features along with Python,
and wait for feedback. Users won't start trying things out until after
the release. This is a general problem, and lead Barry Warsaw to believe
that "release candidates" are an utter waste of time.

Regards,
Martin