[Python-Dev] maintainers.rst enhancement (was: Removing IDLE from the standard library)

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Mon Jul 12 13:42:16 CEST 2010

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 13:39:15 +0300, Ezio Melotti <ezio.melotti at gmail.com> wrote:
>   On 12/07/2010 2.56, "Martin v. L=F6wis" wrote:
> >> As for assigning bugs, I've been told to use the maintainer.rst list, so
> >> either the list is wrong, or I've had finger problems.  If it's the
> >> latter I again say sorry.
> >
> > I see. What copy have you been using specifically? I think I need to
> > remove myself from these lists.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Martin
>
> Indeed it's not clear if the names that appear in the maintainers.rst
> list are supposed to be added only to the nosy list or if it's
> possible to add them to the "assigned to" field too.  A way to avoid
> confusion is to mark the names that should be added to the "Assigned
> to" field with a '*', and add the others to the nosy list only.

Actually it is clear.  The text at the top of the file says the names
are there "to be added to the nosy list".  It does not mention assigning
bugs.  This was actually discussed at least briefly when the file
was created.  We probably should have included "*don't* assign tickets,
nosy the maintainer and let them pick it up if they want to" in the
intro text.

> E.g.:
>      unicodedata         loewis, lemburg, ezio.melotti*
> would mean "You can add loewis and lemburg to the nosy list and assign
> the issue to ezio.melotti".  Otherwise we can just decide that those

I like this suggestion, but obviously we need to let those developers
who wish to do this "star" themselves.

If there are no objections to this change to maintainers.rst, I'll
start the ball rolling by marking myself for email, and adjusting
the introductory text accordingly.

--
R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com