[Python-Dev] maintainers.rst enhancement (was: Removing IDLE from the standard library)

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Mon Jul 12 13:49:29 CEST 2010

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 01:07:54 +0100, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I've been working from this:-
> http://svn.python.org/view/*checkout*/python/branches/py3k/Misc/maintainers.rst
>
> It strikes me as being so sadly outdated that it's getting less than
> useless, or I assume that it's the same old case of not enough
> volunteers?  Why did I bother. :)

As someone else mentioned, it is relatively new.  It was created
partially in the hopes that the huge gaps in coverage would encourage
people to step forward and volunteer to be maintainers, and this
has indeed been happening slowly.  For example, Alexander Belopolsky
recently became a committer and picked up datetime, time, and
pickle.

Another issue with the file that may make it look a tad outdated is
that I think it hasn't been clear to everyone that it is designed to
hold *tracker ids* rather than *committer ids*.  I noticed the other
day that I had to translate from committer id to tracker id for someone
(I forget who, and I didn't have time to update the file at the time).

--
R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com