[Python-Dev] New regex module for 3.2?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 16:07:59 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 09:37:22 pm Eric Smith wrote:
>> > re2 comparison is interesting from the point of if it should be
>> > included in stdlib.
>>
>> Is "it" re2 or regex? I don't see having 2 regular expression engines
>> in the stdlib.
>
> There's precedence though... the old regex engine and the new re engine
> were side-by-side for many years before regex was deprecated and
> finally removed in 2.5. Hypothetically, re2 could similarly be added to
> the standard library while re is deprecated.

re2 deliberately omits some features for efficiency reasons, hence is
not even on the table as a possible replacement for the standard
library version. If someone is in a position where re2 can solve their
problems with the re module, they should also be in a position where
they can track it down for themselves.

MRAB's module offers a superset of re's features rather than a subset
though, so once it has had more of a chance to bake on PyPI it may be
worth another look.

Cheers,
Nick.