[Python-Dev] PEP 3148 ready for pronouncement [ACCEPTED]

Titus von der Malsburg malsburg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 16:19:19 CEST 2010

Hi I learned about the futures PEP only today.  I saw the example on
http://code.google.com/p/pythonfutures/

One thing that worries me is that this approach seems to bypass the
usual exception handling mechanism of Python.  In particular I'm
wondering why you have to do things like:

  if future.exception() is not None:

This reminds me a lot of how things are done in C but it's not very
pythonic.  Wouldn't it be possible and nicer to raise the exception --
if there was one inside the asynchronous job -- when the result of the
future is accessed?

  try:
    print('%r page is %d bytes' % (url, len(future.result())))
  except FutureError:
    print('%r generated an exception: %s' % (url, future.exception()))

Best,

  Titus