[Python-Dev] [Idle-dev] Removing IDLE from the standard library

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 00:13:01 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 8:04 AM, Michael Foord
<fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> Given how high traffic python-checkins is I don't consider that a reasonable
> place to send follow-up and nor do I consider it the responsibility of
> committers to monitor it. As you said earlier this *isn't* in our standard
> dev procedures and nor do I think it should be. If you can't find an email
> address then either python-comitters or python-dev would be a better place
> to send feedback.

Umm, yeah it is - Brett's Intro to Development *is* the documentation
of the workflow procedures, and it says that committers are expected
to subscribe to both python-checkins and python-committers.

And, as I said, I've been working this way for years, and haven't seen
any of my comments or anyone else's made on python-checkins go
unaddressed (although we've occasionally had to follow up by finding
the committer's email address and adding it directly, that's fairly
rare). It *really* isn't very hard to ignore most of the traffic on
that list and just look at your own commits (and any responses). (I
don't do that myself unless I'm busy, as I quite like doing after the
fact reviews of commits)

Bringing the whole of python-dev into a python-checkins discussion is
only necessary if there are any actual disagreements regarding a
commit (99% of what we spot in post review is just typos in
documentation, comments and text strings, as well as minor things like
poor choices of internal variable names).

Cheers,
Nick.