[Python-Dev] Removing IDLE from the standard library

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 00:35:04 CEST 2010

On 12 July 2010 23:00, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 7/12/2010 5:43 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>>
>> There should be an "Edit with IDLE" (sic) context menu item.
>
> I agree, and thought about requesting such, but there is not and never has
> been for me that I know of.

There is for me. I think what Martin meant was that the standard
install puts one there, and if you don't have one it looks like your
install is broken somehow.

> Actually, I would like Edit with IDLE x.y and
> Run with x.y so it is easy to test a file with different versions.

I'm not sure I would, too much menu clutter. But as an install-time
option I'd be OK with it.

> XP with updates, install for everyone, make install the default Python.
>
> Should I open a tracker issue?

If you can reproduce it, I guess so. But as I say, I have the entry
(Win7, 2.6.3, install for everyone, default Python). So it's not a
universal issue.

Paul.