[Python-Dev] python-checkins

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Jul 13 03:05:16 CEST 2010

Antoine Pitrou writes:

 > You don't have to receive e-mail from it. Just take a look at the
 > archives from time to time after you have done some commits.
 > In a threaded view, it's easy to spot the few messages which aren't
 > commit notifications, since they are the only one not at the
 > top-level.

It also is possible to arrange that the author (From field) of the
commit message is the author of the commit, rather than the bot.
Reply-To could be set to bot plus author.  Once the Mercurial
transition is done, this would be more useful as "everybody" would
have an email address as part of their committer ID.

I realize that there is probably good reason for the current approach
(including but not limited to lack of real email addresses for some
committers), but if people really find it that great an imposition to
filter messages themselves with procmail or MUA features, this would
make the author view of the archives useful to them.  (Although that
destroys threading in the summary, you still have links to followups
in the message view.)