[Python-Dev] Removing IDLE from the standard library

Monte Milanuk memilanuk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 06:34:04 CEST 2010

On 7/11/10 7:31 AM, Tal Einat wrote:
> However, I still think IDLE is not currently in a state that it should
> be suggested for use by beginners.

Being one of those beginners... here's my $0.02 worth.

IDLE being instantly available on pretty much anything I care to try my
hand at python on... my Macbook, my desktop PC, Linux (inside
Virtualbox), or even via PortablePython on my usb thumb drive... is
priceless.  Wherever I go, it just works.  The defaults are fairly
reasonable and comfortable on the platforms I've used it on.  I don't
have all the sidebars and bottom bars and gizmos and gadgets in my way -
just a shell to try things in, and a basic editor to write code in.

That said... some documentation (i.e. with examples) of using some of
the other features (debugger, class & path browsers, etc.) would be
nice.  I think I posted a while back that some basic niceties for the
editor like line numbers and 'show whitespace' would make things a
little handier for the newbies out there.

Just reading through this thread, it seems like the problem seems to be
those who know how to fix the problems or make the enhancements...
generally have 'moved on' more advanced editors or IDEs, and those who
use IDLE regularly are often those who lack the knowledge of how to do
bug reports, etc. and probably would be very discouraged to see it
untouched for extended periods.  Not sure there's an easy reconciliation
between the two.  The idea of a plain 'release' version and a possible
enhanced 'development' version does have some interest for me
personally... especially if 1) it stays easy to install/use, and 2) the
enhancements get regularly rolled into the release versions.

YMMV,

Monte