[Python-Dev] notifications form Hg to python-checkins

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 00:00:16 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 7:45 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan at ochtman.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 23:22, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> No, I meant push. There's a separate discussion where it was pointed
>> out that publishing each commit as a separate email makes
>> python-checkins even chattier than it is already (this point came up
>> after Tarek pushed a distutils2 changeset containing ~100 separate
>> commits), so the suggestion was made to combine all commit
>> notifications for a given push into a single email. However, I don't
>> remember if that idea was suggested specifically to Dirkjan as a
>> change to the notification email. If not, I'm suggesting it now :)
>
> As I recall, that's what I first implemented, but it was shot down by
> some of the committers... anyway, I'd be happy to change it back.

Having seen the per-commit approach in action, I'd personally like it
changed back to per-push notifications, but you may want to start a
thread on python-committers about it (given the number of tangents it
has spawned, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people have stopped
following this discussion by now).

My rationale is as follows:
- for small changesets with only one or two changes, per-push or
per-commit emails don't make much difference
- for large changesets, per-commit can be very noisy (as Tarek's 100+
notifications showed) while per-push stays the same

I seem to have a vague recollection of the discussion you mention - do
you remember if the specific objection was to a lack of a list of
filenames affected in the subject line for the old per-push emails?
Listing all the files affected by the push in the subject line would
definitely still be desirable.

Cheers,
Nick.