[Python-Dev] python-checkins replies

Eric Smith eric at trueblade.com
Wed Jul 14 10:36:34 CEST 2010

On 7/14/2010 4:21 AM, Georg Brandl wrote:
> Am 13.07.2010 22:29, schrieb Brett Cannon:
>
>>              Given how high traffic python-checkins is I don't consider that a
>>              reasonable place to send follow-up and nor do I consider it the
>>              responsibility of committers to monitor it. As you said earlier this
>>              *isn't* in our standard dev procedures and nor do I think it should be.
>>              If you can't find an email address then either python-comitters or
>>              python-dev would be a better place to send feedback.

>>          sure if that's a mailman feature, though.
>>
>>      I think this would be a good idea. It would be nice to have on-topic traffic
>>      here. :-)
>>

>> Or python-committers since this is discussing code already checked in and thus
>> is somewhat committer-specific. This also has the perk of being easier to spot
>> (don't know about the rest of you but my python-committers filter makes those
>> emails much more obvious than python-dev traffic).
>
> I think I've suggested this once, but it met some resistance IIRC (it supposedly
> made our development exclusive).

That's why I think it should go on python-dev. If the code hadn't been
checked in and you were asking "what do you think of solving this by
using the following code", I think you'd put it on python-dev. I'd want
the discussion of an actual checkin to occur in that same venue.

> I'm still +1 on the idea though, and +1 on python-committers.

That said, I'm +1 on the idea, but only +0 on python-dev.

Eric.