[Python-Dev] Removing IDLE from the standard library

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Jul 14 13:03:29 CEST 2010

Georg Brandl wrote:
> Am 12.07.2010 00:51, schrieb Mark Lawrence:
>
>> I have been attempting to fill this hole and have been faced with
>> animosity from people who "hang out" on the python-dev IRC channel.  I
>> thought it was a complete and utter waste of space, so I don't intend
>> going back.
>
> I agree with everything David said about this.  My personal opinion is
> that you've done great work on the tracker, and like a few others, I've
> "rediscovered" a few issues I wanted to fix thanks to your "stirring up
> the silt".  I don't think you have reason to be offended by criticism
> (which was even pointed out to you as such).  Try hanging around a little
> bit longer, take nothing too seriously, and see if you still get nothing
> of value from #python-dev.
>
>> I would like things fixed, not a cosy little "who's round
>> is it next" mentality from the triage team.  IMHO if they spent more
>> time doing things, and less time talking crap via IRC, things might get
>> done.
>
> Sure, and if it was work time, we probably would do this ;).  As it is
> right now, this is volunteer time, and I would say that we're entitled
> to do whatever helps us getting done the (not always exciting) work,
> and our IRC crap talk, if that's what it is, happens to be among that.

I tend to agree with you, but the fact that it can deter stalwarts like
Mark perhaps indicate that a little caution should be applied when
dealing with newcomers or "outsiders". Without, I trust, spoiling the
fun for the regulars.

regards
 Steve
DjangoCon US September 7-9, 2010    http://djangocon.us/