[Python-Dev] What to do with languishing patches?

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 23:17:16 CEST 2010

[Removing idle-dev from CC]

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
..
> Maybe going off on a tangent, but I find it frustrating because you (plural)
> can't find a given module on the issue tracker.  Say I'm looking for issues
> relating to smtplib, all I can do is look in the title of the issue.  Have I
> missed something, or is there a need to have subsections so that if Lib is
> selected, you can then find the appropriate module?

I don't think you missed anything and I would also find this feature
useful.  For example, I recently took interest in datetime and pickle
modules, but other than full text search, there was no way to find all
issues related to either of these two modules.  The "Components" list
is somewhat arbitrary with narrow components such as ctypes and broad
components such a Lib.   If you could make a specific proposal on how
this can be reorganized without adding much clutter to the interface
and creating submitter confusion, I think it will be very helpful.

Another feature that comes to mind is to allow searing for issues with
patches that touch a particular file.  I have not looked at the
tracker code, but I think this should not be hard to implement.