[Python-Dev] Python signal processing question

Scott McCarty scott.mccarty at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 18:11:10 CEST 2010

All, I have searched everywhere (mostly the code and a little google) and I
cannot understand where the SIGKILL signal gets checked when it is set as a
handler. I have scoured the Modules/signalmodule.c only to find two
instances of the RuntimeError exception, but I cannot understand how python
knows when a handler is set for SIGKILL. I understand that this changed in
2.4 and I am not trying to change it, I just really want to understand where
this happens. I used grep to find SIGKILL and SIGTERM to see if I could
determine where the critical difference is, but I cannot figure it out.

I have about 2 hours of searching around and I can't figure it out, I assume
it has to rely on some default behaviour in Unix, but I have no idea. I
don't see a difference between SIGKILL and SIGTERM in the python code, but
obviously there is some difference. I understand what the difference is in
Unix/Linux, I just want to see it in the python code. Since python is
checking at run time to see what signals handlers are added, I know there
must be a difference.

Please  can someone just point me in the right direction.

Thank You
Scott M