[Python-Dev] OpenID login for Roundup bug trackers (was: What to do with languishing patches?)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Jul 20 12:23:45 CEST 2010

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> writes:

> Mark Lawrence writes:
>
> > On 18/07/2010 23:38, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
> > > The direct link [to the “meta-tracker”] is
> > > http://psf.upfronthosting.co.za/roundup/meta/
> >
> > Is this the same login as for the issue tracker or is a new one
> > needed?
>
> It's different. Both trackers are supposed to support OpenID logins, I
> believe.

The tracker at <URL:http://psf.upfronthosting.co.za/roundup/meta/>
doesn't mention OpenID on its login form, so I must assume it doesn't
currently support it.

The Python bug tracker <URL:http://bugs.python.org/> does support
arbitrary OpenID for authentication. It didn't in the recent past, so
I'm very glad to see that it does now. I can finally get an account
there without the hassle of managing a site-specific auth set.

> (However, there are somewhat frequent reports of difficulties with it;
> I don't know if the system is fully debugged. I think most people are
> OK, but making a new login is the sure path.)

It worked for me so far on <URL:http://bugs.python.org/>, logging in
with my OpenID and then going through the registration process.

Thanks for drawing my attention to that; if the people who made OpenID
auth happen are observing this, then thank you all very much!

Any hope of feeding those changes back upstream so it's available to all
Roundup users at some point?

--
 \       “Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?” “Well, I think |
  `\         so, Brain, but first you'd have to take that whole bridge |