[Python-Dev] Python-dev signal-to-noise processing question

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Jul 20 16:42:41 CEST 2010

On 7/20/2010 11:59 AM, Oleg Broytman wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 04:08:00PM -0600, average wrote:
>> Wha?  How could this not be the right place?  He's not asking about
>> USING python, but asking: WHERE in the PYTHON CODE BASE does the
>> signal get checked?
>>
>> A-bit-miffed-at-the-cold-shoulderly yours,
>>
>> Marcos  (wink wink)
>
>    I know, the task of sending answers like I've sent is quite
> unappreciated. I know, the meaning of my answer is rude because, in short,
> it's simply "Please, go away", and however I stress the "please" part it's
> still "go away". If I were a help seeker it'd be quite a hard blow for me
> to receive such an answer. Yes, I know.

No, the reply is fine as far as it goes, and I am sure the poster did
get a reply from c.l.py, but his question revealed a thirst for
knowledge not usually evidenced in non-dev inquiries.

>    Still, two other alternatives are even worse. The first alternative is
> to not answer "using" questions at all; quite rude. The second is answer
> all questions and make the developers quit the list and found a new quiet
> one.
>    I don't see any other alternative, do you? Of those three - which one
> do you prefer?
>    The original question was about using python, that's my understanding.

Could we perhaps include a link to the material for Python devs, just so
people realise that although they are being sent away for good reason,
if they are interested in joining the dev community there is material to
help and guide them.

regards
 Steve
DjangoCon US September 7-9, 2010    http://djangocon.us/