[Python-Dev] mkdir -p in python

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Tue Jul 20 19:00:18 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Ron Adam <rrr at ronadam.com> wrote:
> It doesn't fall under the single constant rule if done this way.

If the value for 'allow' were almost always given as a constant, this
would be an argument for three functions instead of one.

The guideline has little to do with the type of the value, but the
number of possible values ("small") and whether they're normally given
as constants in the code.

If there's more than one, and combinations then to vary, then keeping
them as args makes sense.

Also, if we don't know what we want the functionality to be, as you
suggest, then worry about that is premature.  :-)  Let's decide on the
required functionality first.