[Python-Dev] Does trace modules have a unit test?

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 16:59:50 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 6:19 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
..
> Yep, we're pretty free to rename stuff as required inside the test
> suite. The only real exception is test.support, as that's a documented
> standard library module.

Would anyone object to moving Lib/test/test_trace.py to
Lib/test/test_line_tracing.py in 2.7 maint branch as  Benjamin did in
py3k?   As I suggested in issue 9315 [1], the tests should be first
written for 2.7 and either designed to run unchanged in 3.x, or ported
in a controlled fashion to assure that we don't have regressions.
(And in fact we do! [2, 3])

PS: The bikeshedding period is probably closed on this, but I would
rather call the new test file test_sys_settrace rather than
test_line_tracing.  The sys.settrace function does more than line
tracing and the test naming convention seems to be component rather
than functionality oriented in the rest of the test suite.

[1] http://bugs.python.org/issue9315
[2] http://bugs.python.org/issue9317
[3] http://bugs.python.org/issue9323