[Python-Dev] Python Language Summit EuroPython 2010

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Jul 21 19:38:32 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Tim Golden <mail at timgolden.me.uk> wrote:

> A discussion on the Cheeseshop / Package Index highlighted the fact that
> the packaging infrastructure has become increasingly important especially
> since setuptools, buildout and pip all download from it. Richard produced
> graphs showing the increase in package downloads over time, and attributed
> the recent slight tail-off to the fact that the toolchains are now becoming
> more canny with respect to cacheing and mirroring.
>
> Martin & Richard confirmed that mirrors are now in place and Marc Andre
> confirmed
> that he would be putting together a proposal to have PyPI hosted in the
> cloud. Guido pointed out that if an AppEngine implementation were
> desirable,
> he was sure that AppEngine team would support it with resources as needed.
> Martin didn't feel that there was a problem with loading on the box in
> question; it's the uptime that's behind people's concern as it's now so
> essential to installing and deploying Python applications.
>

>From what I've been able to tell from afar, I strongly suspect PyPI's
downtimes would be greatly reduced with a move to mod_wsgi (currently it is
using mod_fcgi, and most downtime is solved with an Apache restart --
mod_wsgi generally recovers from these problems without intervention).
Martin attempted this at one time but ran into some installation problems.
It seems like the team of people managing PyPI could benefit from the
addition of someone with more of a sysadmin background (e.g., to help with
installing a monitor on the server).

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org