[Python-Dev] Python-dev signal-to-noise processing question

average dreamingforward at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 03:28:24 CEST 2010

>> 1. I suggested one improvement to the canned response in my previous
>> post: expand 'using' to 'using or understanding'.
>
>   I changed wording to "if you're having problems learning, understanding
> or using Python"

I think it's critical to disambiguate between questions about "using
and programming with the Python language"  versus working with the
actual code base that makes Python.  Your boilerplate is appropriate
for the former, but completely confusing for the latter.

As to your question of how best to handle inquiries from the blue or
"noisy questions", I personally prefer the following (only slightly
tongue-in-cheek):

...After a sufficient period of waiting, say a day or two with no response:

"busy busy busy, the gnomes must be hard at work.  You've no answer.
That means that your question(s) either isn't interesting enough in an
obvious way, or it's simply off-topic.  If you feel you been unfairly
ignored, you might try rewording the question, doing some research to
show that you've checked the obvious, or try the following venues:

comp.lang.python, for blah blah blah
python-ideas,for pitching your new lambda form, to
etc, etc"

In any case, Mr Crute gave a quite perfect answer, not that such
detail should be exptected.

Cheers,

Marcos