[Python-Dev] Python-dev signal-to-noise processing question

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Jul 22 11:02:33 CEST 2010

Oleg Broytman writes:
 > On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 07:28:24PM -0600, average wrote:
 > > As to your question of how best to handle inquiries from the blue or
 > > "noisy questions", I personally prefer the following (only slightly
 > > tongue-in-cheek):
 > >
 > > ...After a sufficient period of waiting, say a day or two with no response:
 >
 >    Ok, I'll wait a bit longer.

I don't think that's a good idea.  It just encourages people to give a
response on python-dev plus follow-ups, and if they give an answer
without saying "you'd better ask this on comp.lang.python", when you
do, you look like a netcop rather than being helpful.

The mail you originally sent was sufficiently polite and clear IMO,
but anything can be improved and I'm glad you took up the suggestions
on the wording.

OTOH I think as quick as possible an answer is a good idea here.  It
saves the intended audience the thought about whether to reply or not,
and an instant, constructive answer says that somebody cares.  The
message should be "The people who will answer your question on
python-dev are also on comp.lang.python, as well as many more (you may
get a faster, and probably more complete, answer on comp.lang.python).
The people on python-dev don't need to see the answer (they already
know it), but the people on comp.lang.python are likely to be happy to
learn it."