[Python-Dev] Set the namespace free!

Chris Bergstresser chris at subtlety.com
Thu Jul 22 17:49:16 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 16:54:58 +0100
> Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
>>
>> That also has the advantage of introducing a measure of much needed
>> compatibility with industry-leading web programming languages.
>
> Also, Python would gain much needed flexibility if we allowed indirect
> name lookup using `$$foo`. Current abstractions are too poor compared
> to best-of-breed OO languages such as PHP or Perl 5.

   Let's not forget additional lookup operators, like %foo, to specify
the kind of lookup we're interested in (whether we want the result as
a dict vs. list vs. whatever).  We could even allow overloading
(something like object.__$__) to allow objects to customize the
results of their lookup operations.
   Really, I think with this and a world-class regex implementation
we'll be well-positioned when the Internet finally hits it big.

-- Chris