[Python-Dev] versioned .so files for Python 3.2

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Jul 23 12:02:52 CEST 2010

On Jul 22, 2010, at 03:58 PM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

>I guess this is not an explicit goal of this PEP, but the structure is
>very close to supporting multiple system architectures at the same
>time.  I regularly develop code that needs to run on Windows, Linux
>and OSX and it is very convenient to do so in a shared directory tree
>(locally on one machine and accessed using remote mounts on the other
>ones). This works fine for pure python code, but I currently have to
>resort to tricks for extension modules.

[...]

>A way to generically solve my problem is to add the platform name as
>well, such as "foo.cpython-32m-darwin.so" or
>"foo.cpython-32mu-linux2.so".

This could certainly be done in the Windows build, but that wouldn't help
bridge the gap among different POSIX systems.  I'd be open to adding the
platform name to the tag, but I'd probably define it as part of the
implementation field, e.g. foo.cpython-linux2-32m.so.  Or maybe start with the
platform name, e.g.  foo.linux2-cpython-32m.  This isn't a strong preference
though.

Thoughts?
-Barry