[Python-Dev] versioned .so files for Python 3.2

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Jul 24 00:25:09 CEST 2010

On Jul 23, 2010, at 08:56 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

>On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 12:40 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org>
>wrote:
>> Python implementations *MAY* include additional flags in the file
>> name tag as appropriate.  For example, on POSIX systems these flags
>> will also contribute to the file name:
>>
>>  * ``--with-pydebug`` (flag: ``d``)
>>  * ``--with-pymalloc`` (flag: ``m``)
>>  * ``--with-wide-unicode`` (flag: ``u``)
>>
>> By default in Python 3.2, ``configure`` enables ``--with-pymalloc``
>> so shared library file names would appear as ``foo.cpython-32m.so``.
>> When the other two flags are also enabled, the file names would be
>> ``foo.cpython-32dmu.so``.
>>
>> (This PEP only addresses build issues on POSIX systems that use the
>> ``configure`` script.  While Windows or other platform support is not
>> explicitly disallowed under this PEP, platform expertise is needed in
>> order to evaluate, describe, and implement support on such
>> platforms.)
>
>This leads me to a question: how do these configure options affect the
>PEP 384 stable ABI? That PEP is currently silent on the issue, while
>PEP 3149 appears to implicitly assume that "abi3" completely specifies
>the ABI.

It's a great question - perhaps Martin can chime in?  It may be that 'abiX'
isn't enough to fully specify compatible extension modules even when that
module is written entirely and solely against PEP 384.  In that case, we may
need to include the configure flags in the tag, e.g. foo.abi3-dmu.so.

-Barry