[Python-Dev] http://bugs.python.org/issue231540

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 24 01:39:49 CEST 2010

On 24/07/2010 00:09, Paul Moore wrote:
> On 23 July 2010 23:26, Mark Lawrence<breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk>  wrote:
>> Is there any money to pay for the forthcoming 10th birthday party for this
>> issue?  Is the OP still alive?
>
> I'm not sure the sarcasm helps much. What do you suggest should be
> done with the request? Nobody has provided a patch, so there's nothing
> to commit. Closing it as "won't fix" seems unreasonable, as I imagine
> that should a suitable patch be supplied, it would be accepted.
>
> There's no magical means by which such a patch would appear, though.
> The OP clearly[1] is either not interested enough or doesn't have the
> skills to provide a patch, and no-one else has stepped up to do so.
>
> Note that it's been classified as a feature request, not a bug. So
> there's nothing wrong, as such, with it remaining unresolved.
>
> Paul.
>
> [1] I say "clearly" - it may be that he could provide a patch if
> asked. Maybe it would be worth you contacting him to ask if the issue
> is still a problem for him, and whether he can assist in resolving it.

Paul,

I'm on the verge of giving up my time because the whole system is a
complete and utter waste of my time.  I feel quite happy that in my
brief tenure I've closed 46 issues, but there's so many more that could
have been closed, but yet again you don't even get the courtesy of a
response when there's more in the pipeline that could be closed.  I'd
quote the issue numbers here and now, but I'm just too flaming tired to
do so, though a quick count indicates I've got 23 ongoing that I'm
attempting to sort.

As it happens, I have been having discussions offline in an attempt to
shift the culture of Python development but I don't believe that
anything will come out of it.  Let's face it, development is much more
interesting than bug fixes. And once again, if some stupid idiot
volunteer bothers to put in a patch to the code and/or the unit test,
and it sits and rots for five years, is that person likely to come back
to Python?  Strangely, some do.

Sorry, I'm off to bed.

Yours feeling most disillusioned with python-dev.

Mark Lawrence.