[Python-Dev] Python-Dev Digest, Vol 84, Issue 112

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Sun Jul 25 07:08:07 CEST 2010

> Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 23:59:14 +0200
> From:schmir at gmail.com
> To: Barry Warsaw<barry at python.org>
> Cc: Ronald Oussoren<ronaldoussoren at mac.com>,python-dev at python.org
> Subject: Re: [Python-Dev] versioned .so files for Python 3.2
>
> Barry Warsaw<barry at python.org>  writes:

>> >  Right, you probably don't care now that your extension modules live in foo.so
>> >  so it probably won't make much difference if they were named foo-blahblah.so,
>> >  as long as they import.:)
> Most of the time it won't make much difference, right. But I can assure
> you, that it will bite some people and there is some code to be adapted.
>

>> >  If you use Debian or Ubuntu though, it'll be a win for you by allow us to make
>> >  Python support much more robust.
> I'd much prefer to have cleanly separated environments by having
> separate directories for my python modules. Sharing the source code and
> complicating things will not lead to increased robustness.
>
> - Ralf

    Debian's policy on Python packaging calls for maximum separation
between versions.  See

"http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/"

This keeps the system updaters from becoming confused, and
reduces the risk that an update to one version of Python will
break another version.

				John Nagle