[Python-Dev] Set the namespace free!

Bartosz Tarnowski bartosz-tarnowski at zlotniki.pl
Sun Jul 25 20:55:37 CEST 2010

So OK, thank you for response.

No, I wasn't joking. I'm sorry, I didn't know that you Python guys get offended
from being compared to PHP or Perl. Perhaps that shouldn't surprise me, though.

I have posted all of this here, because I was hoping this feature would be
implemented secretly, without anyone knowing. Life isn't that simple it seems,
I would have to go through all this PEP publication and stuff. Blame yourselves.

Reconsidering various ideas you have posted, I think the following solution
would be best:
All alphanumeric sequences preceded by a dot (".") should not be treated as
reserved words.

This would allow now reserved names as attributes without any change. Highest
level identifiers would need to be simply preceded by a dot.

 > boo.if = 3
 > boo.with = hoo.as
 > .while = 1
 > .for = .def
 > fun(.class="a")

This doesn't require any major change, does not break anything and as a side
effect makes some very old code _valid_, at least syntactically.

I am going to repost this now on a valid list. Wish me luck, you opportunists.

--

Regards, haael