[Python-Dev] Does trace modules have a unit test?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 23:57:47 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 1:50 AM, Alexander Belopolsky
<alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 2:20 AM, Alexander Belopolsky
>> <alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> ..
>>> Step 1: Rename test_trace to test_sys_settrace and test_profilehooks
>>> to test_sys_setprofile.
> ..
>> A tracetester helper module + the two test module renames sounds like
>> a fine idea to me (your proposed new names should be clearer than the
>> existing *hooks naming, given the existence of "profile" and "trace"
>> modules).
>
> I have implemented the step 1 above in 3.2 and 2.7 branches, but
> svnmerge failed in 3.1 and I suspect that this was because r79102 did
> not make it to release31-maint.  It is my understanding that test
> improvements are normally backported to maintenance branches and
> r79102 is a test-only revision.  Unfortunately, I was not able to
> figure out how to convince svnmerge to merge r79102 in 3.1.  Can
> someone help?

Looking at r79102, it updates a number of tests to use the new assert*
unittest methods that aren't available in Python 3.1. So while the
patch itself is test-only, it can't be backported because it depends
on new features.

While the general preference is to backport tests, it is also
acknowledged that that can become overly difficult as the test cases
diverge. Up to you if you want to manually fix your patch for 3.1,
drop the test_profilehooks changes, or else just not backport at all.

Cheers,
Nick.