[Python-Dev] marking os.system() as deprecated in the docs

Chris Rebert pydev at rebertia.com
Mon Jul 26 08:42:06 CEST 2010

Hello,

I'd like to propose formally marking os.system() as deprecated in the
docs for next release of Python (v3.2 ?).

The docs for os.system() /already/ include the following paragraph,
which is basically tantamount to calling system() deprecated and very
much resembles the deprecation notes for the os.popen*() family.
"""
The subprocess module provides more powerful facilities for spawning
new processes and retrieving their results; using that module is
preferable to using this function. Use the subprocess module. Check
especially the Replacing Older Functions with the subprocess Module
section.
"""

I'm merely suggesting slapping a formal ".. deprecated::" tag & box
around this paragraph to make system()'s status more obvious. I am
***not*** suggesting the function be scheduled for removal or anything
like that.

I figure since this would be a substantive change (the docs currently
don't outright say "deprecated"), it would need dev approval, hence
this message. I've already written the absolutely /trivial/ docs
patch.

So, any objections?

Cheers,
Chris