[Python-Dev] Thoughts fresh after EuroPython

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Jul 26 12:02:16 CEST 2010

On 26/07/2010 04:42, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 8:31 PM, Peter Portante
> <peter.a.portante at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> FWIW: We use Python at Tabblo, straddled across Python 2.5.4 and 2.6.5. They
>> work. And they work well. But we make light use of threads (mostly
>> background I/O handling), and heavy use of multiple processes because we
>> can't take advantage of our multi-core systems otherwise.
>>
> Isn't this an indication that the GIL is, in fact, not (much of) a problem?
>
> I wish those trying to get rid of the GIL well. But it may not be the
> panacea some folks are hoping for. Multi-threaded programming remains
> hard (and removing the GIL might actually make it harder).
>
> Jython and IronPython don't have a GIL, and I think PyPy may not
> either. Does anyone have experience with GIL-free programming in one
> of those?

Oh, and PyPy does have a GIL but the developers say it wouldn't be a
huge amount of work to remove it.

Presumably they would have to add locking in the right places - which
would then impact performance. As PyPy doesn't use reference counting
adding locking shouldn't impact performance as much as previous attempts
with CPython have.

Michael

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/