[Python-Dev] Thoughts fresh after EuroPython

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Jul 26 20:08:49 CEST 2010

On Jul 26, 2010, at 10:50 AM, Ian Bicking wrote:

>On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 24, 2010, at 07:08 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> >privileges enough. So, my recommendation (which surely is a
>> >turn-around of my *own* attitude in the past) is to give out more
>> >commit privileges sooner.
>>
>> +1, though I'll observe that IME, actual commit privileges become
>> much less of
>> a special badge once a dvcs-based workflow is put in place.  In the
>> absence of
>> that, I agree that we have enough checks and balances in place to
>> allow more
>> folks to commit changes
>>

>Even with DVCS in place, commit privileges allow the person who cares
>about a change to move it forward, including the more mechanical
>aspects.  E.g. if there are positive reviews of a person's changes in
>their fork, they can push those changes in.  Or more generally,
>there's a lot of ways of getting approval, but limited commit
>privileges means all approval must ultimately be funneled through
>someone with commit.

Right, but with a dvcs workflow, it's really only the very last step that
requires commit privileges.  There is much less chance of having those fork
branches get stale, much greater ability for those branches to be reviewed,
tested, and commented on, etc.  You can more easily do everything right up
until the final merge to the master branch without commit privileges, so it's
much less of a blocker to progress.

-Barry