[Python-Dev] Thoughts fresh after EuroPython

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 23:03:42 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 10:39 PM, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
>> I think we need to improve this: it can be a very frustrating
>> experience to contribute to PyPI.
>
> I did not experience it this way.  On the contrary, I tried to run
> PyPI locally for testing purposes, but didn't want to compile and
> run Postgres, so we figured how hard it was to use Sqlite instead.
> Martin put in quite an effort to make it possible to have a local
> instance run with an sqlite db, and I could sprint productively on
> PyPI.

I wasn't talking about the technical gap. This is improving all the time
(I've improved the quick wsgi launching script so we could use it
without dependencies instance).

I am talking about synchronization and communication e.g. the project
management.

For instance, You didn't know that I have started this patch, and
Martin didn't know
that you started on your side. :-)

>> Possible improvements:
>>
>> - Have a PyPI component at bugs.python.org so all work on bugs/new
>> features would be known and
>>   followed by at the same level than other packaging components we
>> maintain, and that depend on PyPI
>>   (distutils, distutils2) -- e.g. drop the sourceforge tracker
>
> I wouldn't do that -- PyPI is not distributed with Python.  (I'm
> equally skeptical about Distutils2, but it will at least be part
> of Python at some point in the future.)
>
> I would support a move to a separate bugs.python.org/pypi tracker,
> however.  Not having to deal with SourceForge is still a good thing.

My PoV is that PyPI is part of the Python ecosystem we provide.
The other part is currently in Python (distutils) and can be impacted
by changes.
The checkbox for instance, is one atomic change across Python and PyPI,

But another roundup issue would be a progress already.