[Python-Dev] Fwd: Readability of hex strings (Was: Use of coding cookie in 3.x stdlib)

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull at sk.tsukuba.ac.jp
Tue Jul 27 03:40:30 CEST 2010

anatoly techtonik writes:

 > Don't you think it is a bad idea to require people to subscribe to
 > post to python-ideas of redirected there?

No, it's an excellent compromise in the current environment.  On lists
I manage (with a similar audience to python-dev), my MTA-level filters
get 95% of the spam, the member test catches essentially all of the
rest.  On support lists, I moderate, mostly because drive-by posters
usually post in HTML which is another 95% accurate signal of spam.

On the dev lists, they get rejected on the principle that drive-by
posts to a dev list *are* spam.  If you want to post a quick RFE,
that's what the tracker is for; people will see your brainstorm when
they get around to looking at the tracker, but it just isn't urgent at
all.

This works well, yours is the first complaint about this kind of
policy that I've seen in four or five years.