[Python-Dev] Thoughts fresh after EuroPython

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Jul 27 09:36:01 CEST 2010

Terry Reedy wrote:
> Should CPython be optimized for 1, 2, 3, or 4 or more cores?
> The answer to this is obviously changing. I will soon replace a single
> core with a 4/6 core machine,

I don't think you can answer that just by considering the average
number of cores in a CPU. Even if my CPU has 4 cores, most of the
time the Python code I run on it isn't going to take advantage of
more than one of them, simply because it's not written to be
multi-threaded.

I would not like to be in a position where I *have* to use some
number of cores in order to get reasonable performance from my
Python code.

--
Greg