[Python-Dev] New regex module for 3.2?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 13:29:02 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Gregory P. Smith <greg at krypto.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 6:43 PM, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 08:27:35 +0200, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de>
>> wrote:
>> > Gregory P. Smith, 27.07.2010 07:40:
>> >
>> > The same algorithm should be helpful in ElementTree's ElementPath
>> > module.
>>
>> We recently added the old re cache-clearing strategy to
>> fnmatch, because previously its cache would grow indefinitely.
>> It sounds like this should be applied there as well.
>>
>> That's three...time to figure out how to share the code?
>
> No doubt.

Anyone remember off the top of their head what linecache does? ... ah,
it's just unbounded unless you call clearcache(). Probably OK for that
particular application.

> Its already a standalone _shrink_cache function with unit tests that doesn't
> care the dictionaries it is shrinking are composed of.  Easy enough to move
> somewhere more useful.  Any proposed stdlib locations?  I'll be offline on
> vacation soon so I may not get to it for a couple weeks but feel free to
> move it without me if anyone is interested.

I created a tracker issue for the idea so we don't forget about it:
http://bugs.python.org/issue9396

collections seems like a fairly obvious possibility, but the flavour
doesn't quite seem right for that. Nowhere else springs to mind
though.

Cheers,
Nick.