[Python-Dev] mkdir -p in python

Ray Allen ysj.ray at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 10:42:49 CEST 2010

I believe, in design purpose, the os.mkdir() is to match the system call
"mkdir()" exactly, the os.makedirs() is a "Super-mkdir", it provides
extra convenience for using when we want to create directories. This is the
case makedirs() should deal with. A new function maybe confused with
makedirs().

I think os.makedirs() should go to shutil, but we have missed the right
time.

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Hrvoje Niksic <hrvoje.niksic at avl.com>wrote:

> On 07/27/2010 06:18 PM, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 10:20 AM, R. David Murray<rdmurray at bitdance.com>
>>  wrote:
>>
>>>  I'd go with putting it in shutil.
>>>

>> +1
>>
>> I would also call it shutil.mktree which will go well with
>> shutil.rmtree next to it.
>>

> Note that mktree is not analogous to rmtree - while rmtree removes a
> directory tree beneath a specified directory, mktree would only create a
> single "branch", not an entire tree.  I'd imagine a mktree function to
> accept a data structure describing the tree to be created.
>
> If you're going for a short name distinctive from mkdir, I propose
> mksubdirs.

Ray Allen
Best wishes!